With St. Patrick’s Day yesterday and the first day of spring and Global Green Light Day (GGLD) on Thursday, it seems like the whole world is going green!
At least that’s the idea, according to my friend and founder of Green Light® Marilyn Schoeman. She invites everyone to celebrate GGLD as an individual, business or organization by doing good. Learn how you can participate in “Green” actions by visiting the website.
A Seattle-based speaker, consultant and the author of “GO! How to Think, Speak, and ACT to Make Good Things Happen,” Marilyn has developed a new language. Its goal is to “create the greatest good, in the best way, for the most people, for the longest time.” In other words, the organization’s mission is to spread joy.
Green Light Medicine Helps Patients, Elderly
In her article “Are you making the patient sick?” Marilyn asks us, “Is the patient better off or worse because of your visit?” She asks the reader to be honest, “Do you sooth their spirit or set off a surge of high blood pressure alerts?”
That is, don’t focus on a Red Light style that looks at life in a negative, depressing and fearful way. Don’t say, “You look terrible! What happened to you?!”
Instead, she suggests we use Green Light language. Consciously think, speak and act in positive, optimistic and heart-lifting ways, using reassuring, encouraging words of support. The Green Light-style friend or relative might say, “I’m so glad to see you! It’s great you can have visitors.”
How to Spread Joy for FREE!
Because joy is so wonderful yet all-too-illusive, a number of websites look at the “whys” and “how-to’s” of spreading joy. I really like how a non-profit Spreading-Joy suggests we don’t have to be financially rich to give away joy.
All we really need to do is embrace the concept that “there is no joy like spreading joy!” And to do that all you need is a genuine smile, authentic heart and good listening skills.
How to Spread Joy Around the World
Another website called the Purpose Fairy offers a list of how you and I can be of service.
Seven Proven Tactics to Help Spread Joy Around the World
1. Smile at people – Let us always meet each other with smile, for the smile is the beginning of love. ~Mother Teresa
2. Hug people – Hugs are the universal medicine. ~Author Unknown
3. Genuine compliments – Just one little spoken observation could make someone’s day.
4. Practice kindness –
To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children… to leave the world a better place… to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
5. Be impeccable with your word – Think before you speak. Try to filter out your blurbs. Be mindful of your dialogue at all times.
6. Thoughtfulness – Bring tokens of love and gratitude. People really do appreciate your consideration.
7. Greet – Always try to say a cheerful ‘hello’ to passersby. What a lovely way to acknowledge someone’s existence.
How do you spread Joy? What makes you feel joyful?