The best place to receive ongoing care may be in the comfort of your own home. But to receive quality assistance, it’s important to know what questions to ask so that you hire the home care agency that’s right for you.
To help you sort through your options, ask questions to help you evaluate the services. There are several facets to home care, and asking the right questions up front can help you choose the best agency for your needs.
• How long has the agency been in business?
• Is the agency evaluated and accredited by a governing agency such as The Joint Commission’s Home Care Accreditation Program?
• Is the agency certified by Medicare? If so, that means it meets federal requirements for health and safety. An agency’s Medicare survey report is public information. If the agency isn’t certified, ask why.
• Is the agency licensed by the state? Most states — but not all — require agencies to be licensed and reviewed regularly. These reviews may be available upon request and can be valuable for gauging the quality of an agency. To obtain a report, contact your state health department.
• Can the agency provide references? Ask for a list of doctors, hospital discharge planners and former clients who have experience with the agency.
• How does the agency protect client confidentiality?
• What are the credentials of the providers?
Visit us at www.andelcare.com with any of your questions regarding home care in Seattle, Washington.